The Vera Institute of Justice is an independent nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance to help leaders in government and civil society improve the systems people rely on for safety and justice. The Institute has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans and is active across the United States and internationally. Vera’s work seeks to advance systemic reform and innovation in a range of fields including juvenile justice, sentencing and corrections, immigration, and victimization. For more information about Vera visit www.vera.org or see our page on Facebook.
The Communications Department is responsible for all of the Institute’s external communication efforts, including producing publications and audio and video podcasts, maintaining the Institute’s web presence via its website and social media outlets, and interacting with members of the media. The Communications staff also works closely with the Development Department and key staff to plan events and coordinate internal communications.
This early career position is ideal for well-informed and socially committed candidates who have worked in communications and are eager to make a contribution as part of a dynamic, full-service team.
The associate will report to the communications director and work collaboratively with other communication staff to support and strengthen the communications effort at Vera. He/she will gain experience with all aspects of communications and be responsible for assuming a variety of editorial, online, media relations, and support tasks. Core tasks include:
• Copyediting reports, email blasts, blog posts, portions of the website, and other public materials;
• Producing website pages
• Maintaining and updating the Institute’s media contact database;
• Tracking press coverage and assembling content for monthly e-newsletters
• Providing design support for Vera publications;
• Providing production support for Vera audio and video products;
• Fielding inquires from the public;
• Producing regular internal communications;
• Maintaining and updating sections of Institute’s intranet;
• Providing support on event planning; and
• Performing other administrative and support tasks as assigned.
Vera seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
• College degree;
• Communications experience;
• Strong writing and editing ability;
• Highly computer and Internet literate;
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
• Experienced with PC platform, Microsoft Office programs, and database management;
• Familiarity with the following a plus:
o Video recording and editing software
o Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and other Creative Suite products
o Social media monitoring and email tools
• Interest in criminal and social justice issues is also desirable.
Low forties, based on experience. Excellent benefits.
Please submit cover letter and resume. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, applications received by October 25, 2013 will be given preference. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Online submission in PDF format is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / Communications Associate recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Flr.
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail or fax).
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera, please visit our website, www.vera.org.